You are here: Home - Saving & Banking - News -

Brits fail to tackle money worries

0
Written by:
07/06/2006

Finances are a big worry for 43% of the British population, according to National Savings & Investments (NS&I), but most people do nothing to tackle the situation.

Although they claim to be loosing sleep over money worries, 58% of such people have taken no action to alleviate their fears. This includes not having enough money set aside to provide for their future (29%), not having enough savings (16%) and having too much debt (13%). This unwillingness to take control of the situation is rooted in a fear of facing reality and tackling a problem area in which many feel out of their depth, NS&I claimed.

Dax Harkins, senior savings strategist at NS&I, said: “Today’s findings reveal an underlying fear of getting to grips with the essential day-to-day management of personal finances. There is clearly a big need for more accessible financial education to help people get over their fears and sort their finances out.”

However, although 58% fall into this category, the other 42% have taken charge of their finances. Over a third have consulted their bank or building society about their worries and a similar number (32%) have spoken to a friend or relative.

Tagged:

Tag Box

Debt

Pension

Spending

Financial fitness

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Are you a first-time buyer looking for a mortgage?

Look no further, get the help you need by searching for your perfect mortgage

Five ways to get on the property ladder without the Bank of Mum and Dad

A report suggests the Bank of Mum and Dad is running low on funds. Fortunately, there are other options for st...

The essential Your Money guide to the April 2018 tax changes

As we head into the 2018/19 tax year, a number of key changes take place to existing policies while some new i...

A guide to switching energy provider

All you need to know about switching from one energy supplier to another.

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

YourMoney.com Awards 2018

Now in their 21st year, our awards recognise the companies offering the best products and services to consumers

Money Tips of the Week

Read previous post:
Market Madness

The world’s stock markets have had one hell of a week. Mike Collins holds on tight as he rides the...

Close