You are here: Home - Mortgages - First Time Buyer - News -

Gap between two and five-year mortgage rates lowest since 2013

0
Written by: Shekina Tuahene
26/01/2021
The gap between the average rate for a two and five-year fixed mortgage was 0.27% last year, the smallest difference recorded since June 2013, according to data.

This was the year that followed the launch of the Funding for Lending scheme in 2012, which Moneyfacts said suggested the current low base rate environment and heightened borrower demand showed lenders were open for business. 

Last year, the average rate for a two-year fix was 2.28% while a five-year fixed deal was 2.55%. 

The analysis also revealed that as of today, the difference between the average rates for the two mortgage terms was still nominal with a gap of 0.17%. While there has been an overall increase since last year, the current average rate for a two-year fix is 2.52% and a five-year fix is 2.69%. 

Eleanor Williams, spokesperson at Moneyfacts, said: Historically, two-year fixed products have been popular with borrowers, however while the economy remains full of uncertainty, some may find themselves ultimately better off with a five-year fixed rate mortgage.  

“Although five-year deals generally carry higher rates than their two-year equivalents – as borrowers are effectively purchasing the longer-term stability and protection from future interest rate increases these provide – with the gap between the two options currently so low, this may be an opportune time to secure the peace of mind a longer-term fixed rate can bring.”

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Everything you need to know about being furloughed

Few people had heard of ‘furlough’ before March 2020, but the coronavirus pandemic thrust the idea of bein...

The savings accounts paying the most interest

If one of your jobs this month is to get your finances in order, moving your savings to a higher paying deal i...

Coronavirus and your finances: what help can you get in the second lockdown?

News and updates on everything to do with coronavirus and your personal finances.

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week

Read previous post:
Calls for furlough scheme to be extended until the end of 2021

The Trades Union Congress (TUC) has urged the government to extend the Coronavirus Jobs Retention Scheme to the end of...

Close