You are here: Home -

Campaigners call for more clarity on tax rules for couples

Written by:
The Low Incomes Tax Reform Group (LITRG) has called for greater clarity around how couples are dealt with in the tax and tax credits systems.

The charity is calling for improved guidance from HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and a wide-ranging review of legislation and practice to achieve “consistency in the definition and treatment of couples for different tax and benefit purposes.”

It also wants an extension of bereavement support to parents who lose a de facto spouse.

Anthony Thomas, LITRG Chairman, said: “Society has changed dramatically over the last few decades. There are now many couples who are not married (nor in a civil partnership), but whose relationships are equally committed. Unfortunately our tax and benefits systems have struggled to keep up with this change.

“Couples are faced with a high degree of complexity in the tax system. Take, for example, the case of a married couple recently separated. There are separate rules that apply to them for eligibility for the new marriage allowance; how long they can continue to transfer assets between them free of capital gains tax and how long transfers between them are exempt from inheritance tax. It may also be difficult for them to “prove” a date of separation to determine when they could make separate claims for tax credits.

“Complexity can lead to mistakes on claims forms and this can have devastating financial consequences. Although two individuals may be clear as to whether or not they are a couple, the authorities may not agree with them and may decide to investigate their status, a compliance nightmare which is exacerbated by the inadequacy of official information accessible to ordinary taxpayers.

“We believe it is possible to have some formal ‘registration’ process with HMRC and the DWP to make an official declaration that a couple has been formed (or separated) to provide some certainty for couples who have made a clear decision to enter into (or separate from) a committed relationship with each other, without forming a marriage or civil partnership.”



There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Flight cancelled or delayed? Your rights explained

With no sign of the problems in UK aviation easing over the peak summer period, many will worry whether holida...

Rail strikes: Your travel and refund rights

Thousands of railway workers will strike across three days this week, grinding much of the transport system to...

How your monthly bills could rise as the base rate reaches 1.25%

The Bank of England has raised the base rate to 1.25% as predicted – the fifth consecutive rise in just six ...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week