You are here: Home - Insurance - News -

Homeowners go without life cover

0
Written by:
18/09/2015
More than one-in-three homeowners do not have any life insurance policies, an insurance firm has found.

AA research found only 63% of homeowners had a life insurance policy, with the remaining 37% going without.

However, even those with policies could be going unprotected, with many failing to update their life cover when they move home.

Only a fifth of people update their policy when moving home, The AA said. Policy holders could be left without full cover if the value of their home is larger or their mortgage loan size has increased.

Of those who did change their policy, most said it was because they had moved to a bigger property. Some 21% of policyholders increased their cover by £50,000-£100,000, 18% increased their cover by £30,000-£40,000. However, 7% of respondents said they decreased their cover.

The most common reasons homeowners had for not updating a policy were that they didn’t think they needed to (42%) and that they had not yet had the time (33%).

Kathryn Thomas, director of AA Life Insurance, said: “Checking a life insurance policy probably isn’t front of mind for those people that are in the busy process of moving home.

“If you have a policy to cover your mortgage it’s important not to completely forget about it. Your previous and new home may be quite different in value and there could be a considerable gap between the amount you’re covered for and the amount you would need, meaning there could be quite a shortfall if the life insurance doesn’t cover the remainder of the mortgage.”

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Unfamiliar banks woo savers with top rates…is your money safe?

If you’ve been keeping an eye on the savings best buy tables, you’ll have noticed some unfamiliar names lu...

What the base rate rise means for you

The Bank of England has raised the base rate by 0.25% to 0.5% – following on from the increase from 0.1% to ...

How to get help with your energy bills

The rise in the energy price cap from April will mean millions of households will pay hundreds of pounds a yea...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week