You are here: Home - Insurance - News -

Homeowners warned over inadequate insurance cover for flooding as claim limits stall

Written by:
Homeowners may be left out of pocket for claims relating to bad weather or flooding, as some policies cover just £15,000 for alternative accommodation which won’t last long given soaring rents.

In some parts of the country, rents have risen by 25% in a year, but insurance lags behind these soaring accommodation costs, according to financial information business, Defaqto.

Its research revealed that many insurance policies may not include enough cover for those who are forced out of their homes due to bad weather, particularly in light of the recent floods.

As well as having to repair and replace belongings, flood victims may also have to live elsewhere while the property is dried out.

A seriously flooded house can take up to a year or more to put right, while it’s not unheard of to be out of your home for as long as 18 months to two years.

But with a shortage of available builders and supplies, coupled with soaring accommodation costs, insurance policies may not provide enough cover.

Some policies offer as little as £15,000 for alternative accommodation – equivalent of six months’ rent for a house in London – with almost one in four offering less than £40,000.

Defaqto said while this might sound a lot, in parts of the country this could easily be used up in an extended repair process. It also found a small number of policies even provide cover for less than six months of temporary accommodation.

Here are its findings on buildings insurance policy cover for alternative accommodation:

Source: Defaqto Matrix Database on 4 November 2022

Check your policy small print

Brian Brown, consumer finance expert at Defaqto, said: “While there are obvious things people can do to protect their homes against flood damage, including very carefully choosing the place to live, climate change is making a mockery of even those decisions as we experience flooding in areas which were previously thought to be safe.

“If you are unlucky enough to have your house damaged by storms and flooding, home buildings and contents insurance is intended to pay for any damage, provided you have cover. Buyers should beware of the insurance small print and check their cover. Many people underestimate just how much those costs might be and are caught out.

“Many policies have not increased their limits in line with the current rental market and homeowners could be caught out if they have to be out of their property for an extended period for repairs.”

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Your right to a refund if travel is affected by train strikes

There have been a wave of train strikes in the past six months, and for anyone travelling today Friday 3 Febru...

Could you save money with a social broadband tariff?

Two-thirds of low-income households are unaware they could be saving on broadband, according to Uswitch.

How to help others and donate to food banks this winter

This winter is expected to be the most challenging yet for the food bank network as soaring costs push more pe...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week