You are here: Home - Insurance - News -

Remote working: Are you covered by your home insurance?

Written by:
The government is encouraging people to work from home where possible as part of measures to tackle coronavirus. But what does this mean for your home insurance?

As office, retail stores and recreational spaces have closed with workers being furloughed or able to work from home where possible, there may be confusion about whether you need to inform your insurer or whether your equipment is covered.

Admiral Home Insurance said insurers usually need to be told if certain things change after you buy your policy.

However, if you’re doing clerical or admin work from home on a computer, such as reading, marking or emails, it may not be necessary to contact your insurer.

You should check your policy to see if you’re covered for business use, if for example you’ll have visitors to your home for business purposes (though given the current social-distancing measures this may not be practical, or essential as part of government guidelines), or if you are keeping business stock at home.

If you’re using company property such as a laptop or mobile, you should check with your employer whether it has the correct insurance policy in place to cover these items outside of the usual place of work should any damage, loss or theft occur.

This would not usually be covered by an employee’s standard household insurance, according to Admiral but if in doubt it’s best to check policy documents.

Noel Summerfield, head of Admiral Home Insurance said:In response to the coronavirus pandemic, a large number of businesses will now have thousands of employees working from home rather than from their usual office in a bid to halt the spread of the virus.

“It’s important that people get everything in order when they swap their office desk for the kitchen table and start using their home as a regular place of work.

“Having the wrong insurance in place could prove costly for everyone involved so making sure that the right policy is in place is crucial and means that people can safely work from home with the peace of mind that their property and contents – or those of their employees – are sufficiently covered.”

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Could you save money with a social broadband tariff?

Two-thirds of low-income households are unaware they could be saving on broadband, according to Uswitch.

How to help others and donate to food banks this winter

This winter is expected to be the most challenging yet for the food bank network as soaring costs push more pe...

Your rights for refunds if travel is affected by strikes

There have been a wave of strikes this year across many different industries, and more are planned over Christ...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week