You are here: Home - Investing - Experienced Investor - News -

Woodford under fire over £1.5m dividend payment

0
Written by: Emma Lunn
19/04/2021
Annual accounts show that fallen star fund manager Neil Woodford and his business partner paid themselves a £1.5m dividend two months before his flagship fund was suspended.

Woodford and former Woodford Investment Management chief executive Craig Newman took the payment just weeks before the Woodford Equity Income Fund was suspended, leaving 300,000 investors with their cash trapped.

The accounts for Woodford Investment Management, published on Friday, showed the firm lost £6.2m during the year, having reported a profit of £16m for the previous year.

The dividend was paid out in April and May 2019 and classed in the accounts as an ‘interim dividend’, with there being no final dividend paid for the year.

Dividends were paid to Woodford Capital, in which Woodford owned 65% of shares, and Newman the remaining 35%, resulting in a £975,000 and £525,000 split respectively.

Sources close to Woodford told The Telegraph the dividend was paid at a time when “there was no visibility” the fund was going to be suspended.

The Woodford Equity Income fund was suspended in June 2019 following an increase in redemption requests which couldn’t be readily met. In October 2019, the fund’s administrator Link Fund Solutions confirmed the £3bn fund would be wound-up with cash returned to investors as soon as possible.

The fund managed about £10bn in assets at its peak. It is now in the process of being wound down and its assets are being sold off. Investors have got back £2.5bn so far.

In spite of the many investors still trapped in the Equity Income fund, Woodford has announced plans to return to fund management, although regulators have raised questions about his return.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

The savings accounts paying the most interest

It’s time to get your finances in shape for summer, and moving your cash savings to a higher paying deal is ...

Everything you need to know about being furloughed

Few people had heard of ‘furlough’ before March 2020, but the coronavirus pandemic thrust the idea of bein...

The experts’ guide to sorting out your personal finances in 2021

From opting to ‘low spend’ months to imposing your own ‘cooling-off period’, industry experts reveal t...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week

Read previous post:
Government proposes new cryptocurrency ‘Britcoin’

HM Treasury and the Bank of England have established a taskforce to look at introducing a UK central bank digital...

Close