You are here: Home - Mortgages - Buy To Let - News -

Central London landlords see strongest demand from tenants

Written by: Anna Sagar
Landlords with properties in Central London have the strongest tenant demand in England and Wales.

A new survey of 750 landlords has revealed that 94% of those in Central London said they had strong levels of tenant demand. The remaining 6% said levels of demand had stayed stable.

The report from mortgage lender Paragon also showed that the appeal of properties in the capital has been increasing, reversing the pandemic trend where properties outside of London grew in popularity.

The survey noted that, in the second quarter of 2020, only 12% of Central London landlords had reported heightened tenant demand. This compares to 90% in Q4 2022.

Other regions have also reported strong tenant demand, with around 92% of landlords in the East of England and Wales highlighting this trend, followed by 90% of landlords in North East.

‘Record level of increased tenant demand’

Richard Rowntree, managing director for mortgages at Paragon Bank, said: “A lot was said about the impact of the pandemic on the Central London rental market, with a number of factors such as the rise in home working and increased desire for access to green space leading to demand for centrally located homes apparently falling off a cliff.

“While I feel that this trend was more evident amongst owner occupiers and overstated in terms of the effect on the rental market, it is nevertheless interesting to see landlords in Central London report the highest levels of tenant demand currently and during the previous three months.”

He continued: “In addition, we see that the overall record high level of increased tenant demand reported in Q3 2022 continued into the final quarter of last year. This is unsurprising given the pressure on household finances and the relative affordability of rented homes, reinforcing the need for an environment that encourages investment in the private rented sector.”

Coupled with this increased demand is increased outlay on rent. Last week, reported that the average asking rent for new tenants both inside and outside of London reached new record highs.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Your right to a refund if travel is affected by train strikes

There have been a wave of train strikes in the past six months, and for anyone travelling today Friday 3 Febru...

Could you save money with a social broadband tariff?

Two-thirds of low-income households are unaware they could be saving on broadband, according to Uswitch.

How to help others and donate to food banks this winter

This winter is expected to be the most challenging yet for the food bank network as soaring costs push more pe...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week