You are here: Home - Saving-Banking - News - Understanding -

How married couples can claw back £1,000 from the tax man

Written by: Paloma Kubiak
From the new tax year, eligible married couples will be able to claim a £250 tax break. But as claims can be backdated, they may be able to gain up to £1,150 via the Marriage Allowance.

The Marriage Allowance was introduced in April 2015. It lets someone earning less than the personal allowance transfer a small percentage of this allowance to their partner. This boosts the receiving partner’s personal allowance, meaning they can earn more before having to pay income tax.

As we know the personal allowance is rising to £12,500 in the new 2019/20 tax year, this figure can be used to work out how much can be transferred to the receiving partner and how much of a tax break it results in.

But the Marriage Allowance can be backdated up to four tax years, meaning eligible couples from 2015/16 may be able to gain up to £1,150 in total.

Here’s what you need to know…

The Marriage Allowance

You both need to be born on or after 6 April 1935. An individual earning less than the personal allowance can transfer 10% of this to their husband, wife or civil partner, as long as the recipient is a basic rate taxpayer.

It applies even if you currently receive a pension or you live abroad, as long as you still get a personal allowance.

The personal allowance for the new 2019/20 tax year is £12,500, meaning from 6 April 2019, £1,250 can be transferred to the partner. This results in a £250 tax break.

But as the Marriage Allowance can be backdated up to four tax years (all the way to 2015/16), this means eligible couples can also make the following claims, totalling up to £1,150:

  • 2018/19 tax year: the current personal allowance is £11,850, meaning £1,185 can be transferred to the partner, resulting in a £237 tax break. However, HMRC rounds the figure up to £1,190, meaning the recipient gets £238.
  • 2017/18 tax year: the personal allowance was £11,500 so £1,150 was transfer
    able, resulting in a £230 tax break.
  • 2016/17 tax year: the personal allowance was £11,000 so £1,100 was transferable, resulting in a £220 tax break.
  • 2015/16 tax year: the personal allowance was £10,600 so £1,060 was transferable, resulting in a £212 tax break.

How to claim the Marriage Allowance

To claim (the lower earner needs to apply), you need to have your National Insurance number and prove your identity via the online Marriage Allowance application portal, such as by giving details from your P60, payslips, passport or child benefit.

The personal allowance will transfer automatically to a spouse or civil partner every year until one partner cancels the Marriage Allowance because circumstances change, such as for divorce or earning over the personal allowance threshold.

Victoria Todd, head of the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group, said: “Many couples are missing out on this help because they are not aware of the allowance. We urge people to claim if they are entitled and if doing so would save them tax. The process for claiming should be relatively straightforward via the GOV.UK website. If you cannot claim online, you can telephone HMRC on 0300 200 3300 or write to them to make the claim.”

In order to claim back till 2015/16, couples have until 5 April 2020. For current tax year claims, your tax code will be amended or for the self-employed, this will be done via the self-assessment tax return. For backdated claims, you’ll receive a payable order – a cheque from HMRC.

The tax authority added that of eligible couples, 83% have now signed up to the Marriage Allowance, equating to 3.3 million couples.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Could you save money with a social broadband tariff?

Two-thirds of low-income households are unaware they could be saving on broadband, according to Uswitch.

How to help others and donate to food banks this winter

This winter is expected to be the most challenging yet for the food bank network as soaring costs push more pe...

Your rights for refunds if travel is affected by strikes

There have been a wave of strikes this year across many different industries, and more are planned over Christ...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week