You are here: Home - Saving & Banking - News -

UK economic growth in August disappoints at 2.1%

0
Written by:
09/10/2020
UK Gross Domestic Product (GDP) grew 2.1% in August, marking the fourth consecutive monthly increase. But it is less than half of the growth forecast.

The GDP figure for the month is also 9.2% below the pre-pandemic February level, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

However, it is 21.7% higher than April’s record fall of 19.5% before the full impact of the coronavirus crisis. And overall, GDP grew 8% in the three months to August.

The ONS noted that the accommodation and food sectors contributed 1.25 percentage points towards August’s growth figure, as lockdown restrictions eased, the government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme launched and Brits took staycations over the summer.

The food and services industry grew 69.7% as a result while the accommodation sector saw a 76% upswing.

Construction grew 3% following a record fall of 41.2% in April 2020, services were up 2.4% while production grew 0.3% and manufacturing by 0.7%.

‘Recovery could be reversed’

Susannah Streeter, senior investment and markets analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, said: ‘’The UK’s economic rebound since the end of lockdown has faltered, with momentum slowing sharply in August, crushing hopes for a sustained recovery from the coronavirus crisis.

“This trend does not bode well for the coming months, given that fresh restrictions have been imposed across the hospitality industry, with venues forced to close at 10pm and local lockdowns being rolled out, suggesting the sector will not act as a prop for the wider economy. Other government data on the social impacts of the coronavirus showed that levels of socialising, eating out and travel have begun to fall after increasing during the summer.”

Streeter added that as the furlough scheme unwinds, mass redundancies are expected.

“That could have a downward spiralling effect on consumer demand as worries also ramp up about the risks of a no-deal Brexit and the effect that could have on the depressed economy,” she said.

Ruth Gregory senior UK economist at Capital Economics said with the new restrictions being imposed, it forecasts GDP to stand at 2% in September, followed by no increase at all in the last three months of the year.

“The big risk now is more restrictions and a no deal Brexit send the recovery into reverse,” she said.

Gregory added: “With the government’s fiscal support unwinding, the next few months will almost certainly be worse. We expect the new Covid-19 restrictions to mean that the economy does little more than move sideways in the final three months of the year, leaving economic activity marooned 7.5% short of its pre-crisis level.

“So while the economy has recouped 64% of the fall in GDP in four months, it may take until late-2022 to get back the remaining 36%.”

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

The savings accounts paying the most interest

If one of your jobs this month is to get your finances in order, moving your savings to a higher paying deal i...

Coronavirus and your finances: what help can you get in the second lockdown?

News and updates on everything to do with coronavirus and your personal finances.

Everything you need to know about being furloughed

If you’ve been ‘furloughed’ by your company, here’s what it means…

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week

Read previous post:
BLOG: How to understand and navigate pension allowances

The coronavirus pandemic has thrown the nation’s retirement plans up in the air. Research has shown that many people over...

Close