Help protect your property against flooding
With this spring seeing heavy rain across the UK and flooding in some areas, home and contents insurer Hiscox has urged homeowners to take some practical steps to help prevent water entering their property and the subsequent damage.
Joanne Musselle, head of UK claims at Hiscox, said: “The heavy rain could cause severe damage to homes but taking some basic steps can reduce the risks.”
Hiscox’s tips to help protect your property from floods:
• Move anything of value including furniture, electrical equipment and valuables (including photographs and sentimental items) to upper floors.
• Prepare an emergency kit in case you are trapped or need to evacuate – this should include blankets, torches, waterproof clothing, food, water, a shovel and a first aid kit.
• If you don’t know, find out how to turn off the electricity supply (in the dark if necessary).
• Make copies of all your important documents and store them in a dry safe place which is easily accessible.
• If there is a known or recurring problem, prepare for flooding by placing sandbags around the perimeter of your house, especially doorways and places where water can easily seep in.
• Relocate your cars to safer areas.
• Prepare a list of important emergency phone numbers, including emergency helplines for your local water company and insurance company.