You are here: Home - Household Bills - News -

One week deadline to register for self assessment tax return

Written by: Rebecca Goodman
Self-employed workers, and anyone who needs to complete a tax return for the 2021 to 2022 tax year, have until 5 October to register with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The tax office has sent out a warning reminding people to register with HMRC before this date if this is their first time filing a self-assessment tax return.

Once they have registered with HMRC, it will send them a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which is required to fill in a self-assessment tax return.

You can also use a UTR to access details about your earnings or tax return at any time.

The deadline for submitting a paper tax return for 2021 to 2022 is 31 October 2022. If submitting it online the deadline is 31 January 2023. In most cases, the actual tax isn’t due to be paid until the January deadline.

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said: “By registering early, self assessment customers will have plenty of time to prepare and access all the help available to them before they start their first tax return.

“Help and support is available to anyone completing a return, just search ‘Self Assessment’ on GOV.UK.”

Filing early can help with budgeting

By filing early workers can find out exactly how much they will need to pay by the January deadline.

This allows them to budget for it and pay the money at a time that suits them. This may be in a lump sum or through a direct debit agreement to spread the cost.

As we’re in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis, and prices are expected to rise further, knowing exactly how much tax is due in advance can make budgeting easier.

If you’re unable to pay your tax bill, help is available. If the bill owed is less than £30,000 it may be possible to arrange a payment plan with HMRC.

How to find out if you need to complete a tax return

It’s not just sole traders or the self employed who need to complete tax returns. There are lots of other scenarios where you may need to send one.

These include the following:

  • those who are newly self-employed and earned more than £1,000
  • a new partner in a business partnership
  • those who have received any untaxed income
  • those claiming Child Benefit if they or their partner have an income above £50,000

If you’re not sure if you need to register for self assessment, you can find out by using the free tool on the HMRC website.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Autumn Statement: Everything you need to know at a glance

Yesterday Chancellor Jeremy Hunt made his first fiscal statement in the role, outlining a range of tax measure...

End of Help to Buy: 10 alternatives for first-time buyers

The deadline for Help to Buy Equity Loan applications passed on 31 October. If you’re a first-time buyer who...

Moving to an energy prepayment meter: Everything you need to know

As households struggle with the soaring cost of energy, tens of thousands of billpayers are expected to move o...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Five tips for surviving a bear market mauling

The S&P 500 has slipped into bear market territory and for UK investors, the FTSE 250 is also on the edge. Her...

Money Tips of the Week