You are here: Home - Investing - Experienced Investor - News -

Regulator warning about MSE clone firm

Written by: Emma Lunn
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has issued a warning about scammers trying to impersonate

The regulator identified a ‘clone firm’ using the details of the money saving website.

The copycat firm sent emails claiming to be from and founder Martin Lewis offering savings accounts with eye-catching rates.

The emails were sent from and – but these addresses have nothing to do with the real website.

Almost all firms and individuals carrying out financial services activities in the UK have to be authorised or registered by the FCA.

A ‘clone firm’ is the technical term the FCA uses for a company which isn’t authorised by the regulator but contacts people claiming to be from an authorised firm. Fraudsters often use the details of firms the FCA authorises to try to convince people that they work for a genuine, authorised firm.

Clone firms often contact people out of the blue, so you should be especially wary if you have been cold called. They may use the name of the genuine firm, and the ‘firm reference number’ (FRN) the FCA has given the authorised firm or other details.

Scammers often change contact details over time to new email addresses, telephone numbers or physical addresses.

How to protect yourself from clone firms

The FCA advises consumers to only deal with financial firms that are authorised by the FCA, and to check the Financial Services Register to ensure they are. It has information on firms and individuals that are, or have been, regulated by the FCA.

If a firm does not appear on the register but claims it does, you can contact the FCA consumer helpline on 0800 111 6768.

If you use an unauthorised firm, you won’t have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service or Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) so you’re unlikely to get your money back if things go wrong.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Unfamiliar banks woo savers with top rates…is your money safe?

If you’ve been keeping an eye on the savings best buy tables, you’ll have noticed some unfamiliar names lu...

What the base rate rise means for you

The Bank of England has raised the base rate by 0.25% to 0.5% – following on from the increase from 0.1% to ...

How to get help with your energy bills

The rise in the energy price cap from April will mean millions of households will pay hundreds of pounds a yea...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week