Here we go again…ANOTHER round of Barclays bank branches to close
In a fresh blow to Barclays customers, the banking giant confirmed it will close in 15 more locations this August and September.
This means since the start of 2023, Barclays has announced seven separate rounds of closures, taking the total to 99 locations:
- 13 January confirmed 15 Barclays branch closures
- 27 January confirmed 15 Barclays branch closures
- 10 March confirmed 14 Barclays branch closures
- 24 March confirmed 14 Barclays branch closures
- 11 April confirmed 15 Barclays branch closures
- 21 April confirmed 11 Barclays branch closures
- 12 May confirmed 15 Barclays branch closures.
However, a total of 110 Barclays branches will disappear (or already have) from local high streets this year, once factoring in branch closures announced in 2022.
Last year, the banking giant confirmed it would close 132 branches, leaving it with a network of 481 branches at the end of 2022.
But given the spate of closure announcements in 2023 already, this means a fifth of its network will go.
Overall, across the major banking brands this year already, 250 branches have been confirmed for closure from the likes of Barclays, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds, NatWest and TSB.
Is your local Barclays branch set to close?
These are the 15 bank branch locations which will close, and the date given for the move:
- 133 High Street Dunfermline Scotland KY12 7DR 18/08/2023
- 16 Murray Place Stirling Scotland FK8 2DD 11/08/2023
- 52 Tredegar Street Risca Wales NP11 6BW TBC
- 18 Queen Elizabeth II Square Chelmsford England CM3 5TF 11/08/2023
- 18 High Street Burnham-on-Crouch England CM0 8AA 22/08/2023
- 118 High Street Newcastle-under-Lyme England ST5 1PT 25/08/2023
- 90 Liverpool Road Kidsgrove England ST7 1DZ 11/08/2023
- 1 Lower Northam Road, Hedge End Southampton England SO30 4FN 17/08/2023
- 20/24 Upper Market Street Eastleigh England SO50 9FD 11/08/2023
- 31 Market Place Wokingham England RG40 1AR 18/08/2023
- 17 High Street Bognor Regis England PO21 1RL 09/08/2023
- 74 Front Street Prudhoe England NE42 5PU 11/08/2023
- Westgate Haltwhistle England NE49 9AG 18/08/2023
- High Street St Ives England TR26 1RT 08/09/2023
- 6 Killigrew Street Falmouth England TR11 3RD 15/09/2023.
As with all the previous branch closure confirmations, Barclays told us it’s down to the shift towards digital banking – either online or via the app – with fewer people interacting in branch.
A spokesperson said: “As visits to branches continue to fall, we need to adapt to provide the best service for all our customers. Where there is no longer enough demand to support a branch, we maintain an in-person presence though our Barclays Local network, live in over 200 locations, based in libraries, town halls, mobile vans and our new banking pods.
“We also support access to cash with our cashback without purchase service, 24-hour deposit-taking ATMs and by working alongside the Post Office and Cash Access UK.”
Alternative ways to continue banking with Barclays
As well as Barclays Local, customers can visit Banking hubs which provide basic banking services including counter services run by the major banks and the Post Office. There are also dedicated rooms where customers can see community bankers from their own bank for more complicated matters that require specialist knowledge or privacy.
According to LINK, the ATM network, there are four banking hubs open in Brixham (Devon), Cambuslang (South Lanarkshire), Cottingham (East Ridings of Yorkshire) and Rochford (Essex).
However, as branch closure ramp up, a further 47 hubs will be delivered collectively by Cash Access UK.
Just last week, LINK confirmed it has recommended its 100th shared banking hub after analysing the impact of 847 bank branch closures, as well as receiving more than 600 requests from members of the public.
As part of the latest Barclays cull, it recommended a banking hub at the Risca branch and a deposit services at St Ives.
There are an estimated 39,000 free ATMs across the UK and 11,000 Post Offices where customers can access and carry out basic banking services.
- Nationwide, Yorkshire BS, TSB and Barclays cut rates as mortgages head below 5%
- Expat Brits warned their UK banking services could be withdrawn
- Prudent students embrace ‘generation sensible’ to combat rise in living costs
- Mortgage war continues as rates fall below 5%: Barclays, Virgin Money, HSBC, The Mortgage Works and YBS slash prices