You are here: Home - Saving & Banking - News - Understanding -

Married couples: check if you’re eligible for an up to £900 tax break

Written by: Paloma Kubiak
Eligible married partners can receive a £238 tax break this year, but as claims can be backdated this means couples could receive a total of £900 via the Marriage Allowance.

The Marriage Allowance was introduced in April 2015. It lets an individual who earns less than the personal allowance to transfer a small percentage of the allowance to their partner. This boosts the receiving partner’s personal allowance, meaning they can earn more before they start to pay tax.

However, if you ‘earn’ more than the personal allowance, say through savings interest or dividends, the Chartered Institute of Taxation urges people not to be deterred from checking their eligibility or applying. See ‘You can earn more than you think and be eligible for the Marriage Allowance’ for more.

Around four million married and civil partner couples are eligible for the tax break but HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) reported last year that less than half were benefiting. As a result, couples could be missing out on more than £1bn of savings.

Here’s how the Marriage Allowance works and how you can backdate claims…

How to claim the Marriage Allowance

You both need to be born on or after 6 April 1935 and you can’t be a higher or additional rate taxpayer. An individual earning less than the personal allowance can transfer 10% of their personal allowance to their husband, wife or civil partner, as long as the recipient is a basic rate taxpayer.

This increases their earnings threshold and reduces their tax bill. It applies even if you currently receive a pension or you live abroad, as long as you still get a personal allowance.

In November’s Budget, the Chancellor, Philip Hammond announced that the personal allowance would rise to £11,850 in the 2018/19 tax year, meaning £1,185 can be transferred to the partner, resulting in a £237 tax break. However, HMRC rounds the figure up to £1,190, meaning the recipients gets £238.

However, the Marriage Allowance can be backdated up to four tax years, so eligible couples can also make the following claims:

  • 2017/18 tax year: the personal allowance was £11,500 so £1,150 can be transferred, resulting in a £230 tax break.
  • 2016/17 tax year: the personal allowance was £11,000 so £1,100 can be transferred, resulting in a £220 tax break.
  • 2015/16 tax year: the personal allowance was £10,600 so £1,060 can be transferred, resulting in a £212 tax break.

If you were eligible for all the four tax years, you will be able to claim a total £900 tax break.

In order to claim (the lower earner needs to apply), you need to have your National Insurance number and prove your identity via the online Marriage Allowance application portal, such as by giving details from your P60, payslips, passport or child benefit, for instance.

Once the Marriage Allowance has been claimed, both partners (if under PAYE) will receive a different tax code so that the Marriage Allowance is reflected such as with the codes ‘M’ and ‘N’.

The personal allowance will transfer automatically to a spouse or civil partner every year until one partner cancels the Marriage Allowance because circumstances change, such as for divorce or the death of the other partner.

If you want to make a back-dated claim, there will be a section in the online application. If you register for a personal tax account, the back payments can be paid through your bank account as a lump sum. Otherwise, it will be paid in the form of a cheque posted to the applicant.

At the November Budget, Hammond also announced that the Marriage Allowance can be extended to surviving spouses.

There are 1 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.
  • Realist

    What a load of twaddle, the maths dont stand up , anyway why would someone with such a low income get married….Child benefits me thinks. Lets stop the nation pro creating nasty kids and do some work. But if you back claim you will be hit with late tax return filing fees of probably £1600.

    Do not bother

Are you a first-time buyer looking for a mortgage?

Look no further, get the help you need by searching for your perfect mortgage

Five ways to get on the property ladder without the Bank of Mum and Dad

A report suggests the Bank of Mum and Dad is running low on funds. Fortunately, there are other options for st...

The essential Your Money guide to the April 2018 tax changes

As we head into the 2018/19 tax year, a number of key changes take place to existing policies while some new i...

A guide to switching energy provider

All you need to know about switching from one energy supplier to another.

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co... Awards 2018

Now in their 21st year, our awards recognise the companies offering the best products and services to consumers

Money Tips of the Week

Read previous post:
A third miss out on cheapest mortgage even after seeing broker

Almost a third of borrowers fail to get the cheapest mortgage deal - regardless of whether they seek broker advice...