You are here: Home - Household Bills - News - Understanding -

Childcare Voucher scheme closed to new entrants: your options

Written by: Paloma Kubiak
The Childcare Voucher scheme offered via employers has today been closed to new entrants as the Tax-Free Childcare scheme replaces it.

While new parents will no longer be able to claim Childcare Vouchers from employers, existing members can continue to use the funds to help with the cost of looking after children.

Originally, the Childcare Vouchers scheme was set to close in April 2018, but this was extended to October by the education minister.

Tax-Free Childcare

In the place of Childcare Vouchers comes the Tax-Free Childcare scheme which was launched in April 2017.

If you’re currently receiving Childcare Vouchers, you can’t also apply for Tax-free Childcare.

Here’s how Tax-free Childcare works:

  • The government gives eligible families an extra 20% towards the cost of childcare. So, if you pay £8 into your account, the government will give you an extra £2.
  • You can put up to £10,000 into your account a year, which means your top-up could be as much as £2,000 per child per year (or £4,000 for disabled children).
  • The top-up is added instantly, and you can then send electronic payments directly to your childcare provider.
  • The maximum government top-up is £500 per quarter, or £1,000 if the child is disabled.
  • All registered childcare providers – nannies, nurseries, childminders, clubs – can sign up to receive parents’ payments through Tax-Free Childcare.
  • You need to sign back into your account every three months and confirm your details are up-to-date to keep getting the government top-ups.

Are you eligible?

You can apply for Tax-Free Childcare if:

  • You’re a working parent (including self-employed)
  • You have children under 12 (under 17 for disabled children)
  • You, and any partner, both earn at least £125.28 per week
  • You, and your partner, earn less than £100,000. If one or both of you earns more than £100,000, neither of you is eligible.

You can’t get Tax-Free Childcare if you claim Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit. However, it can be used at the same time as the 30 free hours free childcare initiative which parents can apply for up to 16 weeks before your child turns three.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

The savings accounts paying the most interest

It’s time to get your finances in shape, and moving your cash savings to a higher paying deal is a good plac...

Everything you need to know about being furloughed

Few people had heard of ‘furlough’ before March 2020, but the coronavirus pandemic thrust the idea of bein...

The experts’ guide to sorting out your personal finances in 2021

From opting to ‘low spend’ months to imposing your own ‘cooling-off period’, industry experts reveal t...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

Having a baby and your finances: seven top tips

We’re guessing the Duchess of Cambridge won’t be fretting about maternity pay or whether she’ll still be...

Protecting family wealth: 10 tips for cutting inheritance tax

Inheritance tax - sometimes known as 'death tax' - can cause even more heartache for bereaved families. But th...

Travel insurance: Five tips to ensure a successful claim

Ahead of your summer holiday, it’s important to make sure you have the right level of travel cover or you co...

Money Tips of the Week