You are here: Home - Household Bills - News -

Prepayment energy customers have only one month to claim £400 support

Written by: Rebecca Goodman
Energy customers with a prepayment meter have until 30 June to claim £130m in Government support.

They are being urged today, by the Government and other consumer groups, to claim this money before the deadline when the vouchers will expire.

Each household can claim £400 to help with their energy bills, and this is paid through vouchers for those with a traditional prepayment meter.

But figures show that 83% of households have redeemed their vouchers, claiming £650m, leaving 17% still to claim.

The groups involved are naming today, Claim Your Energy Voucher Day, in an effort to persuade the remaining households left to claim this money.

How does the scheme work?

The money is being paid out through the Government’s Energy Bills Support Scheme to help households with rising bills

The scheme paid out tranches of £66 to households over the six months to March 2023. Households with a prepayment meter were sent vouchers by their energy providers by email, text or post. These are valid for 90 days, but customers can contact their energy supplier to ask for a voucher to be reissued if this date has passed.

Once they receive a voucher, they then need to redeem it at a Post Office or Pay Point. Customers who pay their energy via direct debit had the £400 discount automatically applied to their bills.

Tell friends and family about the scheme

Minister for energy consumers and affordability, Amanda Solloway, said: “Today we are redoubling our efforts to reach anyone who still hasn’t claimed this help, and it’s fantastic to see so many join our final push to spread the word.

“Tell friends and family or anyone on a traditional prepayment meter to use their vouchers for up to £400 off bills before 30 June – there is still £130 million out there to claim.”

Emily Seymour, Which? energy editor, said: “It’s positive that over 80% of Energy Bills Support Scheme vouchers for traditional prepayment meter customers – who are often on lower incomes – have now been redeemed.

“However, there are still lots of households that will be missing out on much-needed financial support. We’d strongly encourage anyone who hasn’t yet redeemed their vouchers to do so before 30 June, so they don’t miss out on extra help unnecessarily.

Households with prepayment meters who use alternative fuels such as LPG, heating oil, or biomass also have until 30 June to use their vouchers worth up to £200 in energy bills support. These will have been sent in the post.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Big flu jab price hikes this winter: Where’s cheapest if you can’t get a free vaccine?

Pharmacies, supermarkets and health retailers are starting to offer flu jabs ahead of the winter season, but t...

Is now the time to fix your energy deal?

Fixed energy tariffs all but disappeared during the energy crisis. But now they are back with an increasing nu...

Octopus steps in to buy Shell Energy – what customers need to know

The deal is expected to complete in the fourth quarter of 2023 and will take Octopus Energy’s retail supply ...

What will happen if rates change

How your finances will be impacted by a rise in interest rates.

Regular Savings Calculator

Small regular contributions can build up nicely over time.

Online Savings Calculator

Work out how your online savings can build over time.

The best student bank accounts in 2023: Cash offers, tastecards and 0% overdrafts

A number of banks are luring in new student customers with cold hard cash this year – while others are compe...

DIY investors: 10 common mistakes to avoid

For those without the help and experience of an adviser, here are 10 common DIY investor mistakes to avoid.

Mortgage down-valuations: Tips to avoid pulling out of a house sale

Down-valuations are on the rise. So, what does it mean for home buyers, and what can you do?

Money Tips of the Week